Trucking is a complex and interesting industry. We’ve compiled a list of 10 trucking industry facts to help you understand it better:
1. Truck drivers are three times less likely to be involved in a traffic accident compared to car drivers.
2. Truckers who drive 65 miles per hour use 27 percent less fuel than when they drive 75 miles per hour.
4. The trucking industry directly and indirectly employs more than 8 million people in the U.S.
5. Most over-the-road truckers average 100,000 to 110,000 miles a year on the road. That’s equal to traveling around earth nearly four times!
6. Trucks are the main mode of transportation in the U.S. They move thousands of tons of freight each year.
7. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s SmartWay program raises awareness about the need to improve transportation sustainability. It has helped achieve significant emissions reductions from freight transportation.
8. Truck engines are designed to travel 1 million miles before retirement. Cars engines are typically designed to run for 200,000 miles.
9. More than $1 out of every $10 produced in the U.S. GDP is related to transportation activity, including trucking.
10. The first motorized truck in history was built in 1896 by German manufacturer Gottlieb Daimler.